1. ESRC Genomics Network (archive)
  2. Gengage
  3. The Human Genre Project

Genomics Forum · News

Forum Director nominated for teaching award

Introduction

Steve Yearley in the running for Edinburgh University Students’ Association prize

Story

Steve Yearley holding teaching award badge.

– Director of the ESRC Genomics Policy and Research Forum – has been nominated in the “Best Research or Dissertation Supervisor “category of the Edinburgh University Students’ Association Teaching Awards 2012-2013.

Held annually since 2009, the awards are designed to recognise and reward those academics who are committed to delivering great teaching for their students. The award scheme is the first in the UK to be entirely created and run by students, and has encouraged several other Student Associations to create their own versions of the initiative.

Since joining the University of Edinburgh, Professor Yearley has successfully supervised the research of a number of doctoral students, in addition to providing strategic direction to the work of the Genomics Forum.

Commenting on his nomination for a teaching award, Steve Yearley said:

“I am both surprised and delighted to be nominated for a teaching award for my supervision of doctoral research, not least because the award scheme itself is entirely driven by the students of Edinburgh University.

“It really is a great honour to have one’s work – in guiding the development of the next generation academic researchers – recognised in this way. I shall most certainly be wearing my badge – identifying me as an award nominee – with pride.”

The winners of the Teaching Awards will be announced at a ceremony that will take place in Edinburgh on 3 April 2013.

Graphic

small red apple